Over the weekend I was going through and updating some old posts. I stumbled on quite a few about St. Patrick's Day and realized that it's coming up soon! So I decided to compile a list of books that would be fun to read all about St. Patrick's day, Ireland and the Potato famine!
Here are our picks for St. Patrick's Day reading:
1. The Night Before St. Patrick's Day-- Written with the same lilting rhyming patter as The Night Before Christmas this cute story is sure to be a hit.
2. The Leprechaun's Gold-- A classic Irish tale about two harpists who decide to have a contest to see who is the best. Told with beautiful pictures and a real "Irish" feel this book is great.
3. The St. Patrick's Day Shillelagh-- I can not wait to read this story with my boys! I love the illustrations and the facts about Ireland, the potato famine, and this one family's story about immigrating to the United States.
4. The St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Mystery-- We loved this chapter book! Two sisters must solve the mystery of where all the shamrocks are coming from and end up with a new friend in the end.
5. The Luck of the Irish-- This easy reader story will be perfect for my youngest son to read to me this St. Patrick's Day!
6. That's What Leprechauns Do-- A cute story about the job of leprechauns. Follow these three cute little leprechauns as they bury their pot of gold at the end of the rainbow; stopping to have a bit of fun along the way.
7. Katie's Wish-- Another story about the potato famine; in this story Katie hates potatoes and wishes they would just go away. But when they do she feels guilty that she caused the famine.
8. How to Catch a Leprechaun-- This new book looks hilarious. Exciting pictures, a cute, catchy rhyming story line. I'm pretty sure this will become a new family favorite!
9. St. Patrick's Day Alphabet-- A great book that covers 26 of the stories and legends about St Patrick's Day in an easy to read and understand format.
10. S is for Shamrock; An Ireland Alphabet-- We love the books in this series and figured St. Patrick's Day was the perfect opportunity to learn more about Ireland.
(all images of books courtesy of Amazon.com)